Man held with 1.2 kg gold at IGI airport
New Delhi: A man has been arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle into the country 1.2 kg of gold bars at Indira Gandhi International airport here.
The accused, a native of Ghaziabad, was intercepted by customs officers after his arrival from Bangkok yesterday late night.
On thorough personal search of the passenger, who is in his early thirties, 16 gold bars were found concealed inside the insoles of the shoes worn by him.
"The recovered gold bars totally weighed 1,220 grams (about 1.2 kg) and was collectively valued at Rs 28.77 lakh," a customs official said.
The gold bars were seized and the passenger was arrested, he said, adding that further investigation was continuing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal