Man held with saffron worth Rs 36.5 lakh from IGI
New Delhi: A man has been arrested at the Indira Gandhi Airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle saffron, worth Rs 36.5 lakh, into the country.
A case of smuggling was registered against Delhi-resident Gaurav Sethi for trying to clear 14.6 kg of saffron without payment of customs duty, a Customs press release said Wednesday.
Sethi had arrived from Dubai yesterday and declared that he was not carrying any dutiable goods.
"The passenger was intercepted at the exit gate of the arrival hall and was interrogated. The saffron was recovered from the checked-in baggage duly concealed under used clothes.
"The total weight of the recovered saffron is 14.6 kg. As per the passenger, the value of the recovered saffron is Rs 36.50 lakh," the release said.
Sethi was arrested under relevant sections of Customs Act, 1962, and later granted bail on furnishing a surety of Rs two lakh.
Last month, another Delhi-resident was arrested from the IGI airport for trying to smuggle saffron worth Rs 3.12 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed