Man held with saffron worth Rs 36.5 lakh from IGI
New Delhi: A man has been arrested at the Indira Gandhi Airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle saffron, worth Rs 36.5 lakh, into the country.
A case of smuggling was registered against Delhi-resident Gaurav Sethi for trying to clear 14.6 kg of saffron without payment of customs duty, a Customs press release said Wednesday.
Sethi had arrived from Dubai yesterday and declared that he was not carrying any dutiable goods.
"The passenger was intercepted at the exit gate of the arrival hall and was interrogated. The saffron was recovered from the checked-in baggage duly concealed under used clothes.
"The total weight of the recovered saffron is 14.6 kg. As per the passenger, the value of the recovered saffron is Rs 36.50 lakh," the release said.
Sethi was arrested under relevant sections of Customs Act, 1962, and later granted bail on furnishing a surety of Rs two lakh.
Last month, another Delhi-resident was arrested from the IGI airport for trying to smuggle saffron worth Rs 3.12 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?