Man held with saffron worth Rs 36.5 lakh from IGI
New Delhi: A man has been arrested at the Indira Gandhi Airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle saffron, worth Rs 36.5 lakh, into the country.
A case of smuggling was registered against Delhi-resident Gaurav Sethi for trying to clear 14.6 kg of saffron without payment of customs duty, a Customs press release said Wednesday.
Sethi had arrived from Dubai yesterday and declared that he was not carrying any dutiable goods.
"The passenger was intercepted at the exit gate of the arrival hall and was interrogated. The saffron was recovered from the checked-in baggage duly concealed under used clothes.
"The total weight of the recovered saffron is 14.6 kg. As per the passenger, the value of the recovered saffron is Rs 36.50 lakh," the release said.
Sethi was arrested under relevant sections of Customs Act, 1962, and later granted bail on furnishing a surety of Rs two lakh.
Last month, another Delhi-resident was arrested from the IGI airport for trying to smuggle saffron worth Rs 3.12 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway