Man hit by metro while crossing tracks, services disrupted
New Delhi: A 55-year-old man suffered head injuries after he was hit by a moving train while trying to illegally cross the tracks at a Metro station in central Delhi leading to disruption of services on the busy Noida Line during the evening rush hours.
The incident led to a chaotic situation at the Rajiv Chowk, the busiest station in the network, as hundreds of passengers were stranded at platforms waiting for trains to reach their homes after work.
The station in the heart of the capital sees a footfall of over 5 lakh a day and is the major inter-change station in the Metro network.
At around 5.45 PM, the man was trying to illegally cross the tracks at R K Ashram Marg station near Karol Bagh to reach from one platform to another when he was hit by the train.
The alert driver swiftly applied the Emergency Break (EB) and the man was taken out from underframe with head injuries. He was rushed to RML hospital.
The incident led to delay in services from 5.45 PM to 6.10 PM and bunching of trains. Passengers claimed that trains were delayed by at least 30 minutes and the situation at Rajiv Chowk was chaotic.
Long queques were witnessed at other busy stations on the corridor, that carries over 7 lakh people every day, and passengers were stranded for a while.
Walking on the tracks or crossing the tracks is unauthorised in Delhi Metro premises. Of late the new age transport system has been witnessing a number of suicide incidents at its premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH