Man involved in killing of Delhi cop arrested
New Delhi: A 22-year-old member of a Haryana-based gang has been arrested here for his involvement in several crimes, including the murder of a Delhi Police head constable last year, police said Tuesday.
Shakir, a resident of Haryana`s Mewat district, was arrested from south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar Sunday. A stolen motorcycle and some arms and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
A police officer said Shakir was involved in the murder of Delhi Police head constable Yashpal, who was posted at south Delhi`s Mehrauli police station and was killed during the intervening night of Aug 23 and 24 last year.
"Yashpal had caught Shakir and his associates red-handed when they were loading stray cattle from Delhi`s Jharoda village into a truck. They shot dead the head constable and fled," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
The Crime Branch had arrested two Mewat-based criminals Jamshed and Arif for their involvement in the murder of the head constable in September last year.
"Three other accused involved in the murder were also arrested but Shakir had been evading arrest by changing his hideouts frequently," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake death toll rises to 247 as rescuers desperately search for survivors
- Sensex firms up 78 points in early trade on F&O expiry
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor