Man involved in killing of Delhi cop arrested
New Delhi: A 22-year-old member of a Haryana-based gang has been arrested here for his involvement in several crimes, including the murder of a Delhi Police head constable last year, police said Tuesday.
Shakir, a resident of Haryana`s Mewat district, was arrested from south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar Sunday. A stolen motorcycle and some arms and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
A police officer said Shakir was involved in the murder of Delhi Police head constable Yashpal, who was posted at south Delhi`s Mehrauli police station and was killed during the intervening night of Aug 23 and 24 last year.
"Yashpal had caught Shakir and his associates red-handed when they were loading stray cattle from Delhi`s Jharoda village into a truck. They shot dead the head constable and fled," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
The Crime Branch had arrested two Mewat-based criminals Jamshed and Arif for their involvement in the murder of the head constable in September last year.
"Three other accused involved in the murder were also arrested but Shakir had been evading arrest by changing his hideouts frequently," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees