Man involved in killing of Delhi cop arrested
New Delhi: A 22-year-old member of a Haryana-based gang has been arrested here for his involvement in several crimes, including the murder of a Delhi Police head constable last year, police said Tuesday.
Shakir, a resident of Haryana`s Mewat district, was arrested from south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar Sunday. A stolen motorcycle and some arms and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
A police officer said Shakir was involved in the murder of Delhi Police head constable Yashpal, who was posted at south Delhi`s Mehrauli police station and was killed during the intervening night of Aug 23 and 24 last year.
"Yashpal had caught Shakir and his associates red-handed when they were loading stray cattle from Delhi`s Jharoda village into a truck. They shot dead the head constable and fled," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
The Crime Branch had arrested two Mewat-based criminals Jamshed and Arif for their involvement in the murder of the head constable in September last year.
"Three other accused involved in the murder were also arrested but Shakir had been evading arrest by changing his hideouts frequently," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez