Man involved in killing of Delhi cop arrested
New Delhi: A 22-year-old member of a Haryana-based gang has been arrested here for his involvement in several crimes, including the murder of a Delhi Police head constable last year, police said Tuesday.
Shakir, a resident of Haryana`s Mewat district, was arrested from south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar Sunday. A stolen motorcycle and some arms and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
A police officer said Shakir was involved in the murder of Delhi Police head constable Yashpal, who was posted at south Delhi`s Mehrauli police station and was killed during the intervening night of Aug 23 and 24 last year.
"Yashpal had caught Shakir and his associates red-handed when they were loading stray cattle from Delhi`s Jharoda village into a truck. They shot dead the head constable and fled," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
The Crime Branch had arrested two Mewat-based criminals Jamshed and Arif for their involvement in the murder of the head constable in September last year.
"Three other accused involved in the murder were also arrested but Shakir had been evading arrest by changing his hideouts frequently," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown