Man jailed for 10 years for raping minor in Delhi
New Delhi: A 48-year-old man has been sentenced to 10 years in jail for raping a minor nine years ago by a Delhi court which relied solely on the testimony of the victim.
Additional Sessions Judge Gulshan Kumar gave the jail term and also imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 on the south Delhi resident Sajjan Singh for raping the six-year-old girl, who was his neighbour, after calling her to his room on the pretext of giving chocolates in 2004.
The court turned down the argument of Singh`s counsel that the accused could not be convicted merely because the girl had said that she was raped by him.
"It is a well-settled principle of law that conviction can be sustained on the sole testimony of the prosecutrix if it inspires confidence.
"A plethora of decisions by the Supreme Court would show that once the statement of prosecutrix inspires confidence and is accepted by the court and such conviction can be based only on the solitary evidence of the victim, no corroboration would be required unless there are compelling reasons which necessitates the courts for corroboration of her statement," the judge said.
The court relied on the child`s testimony, recorded last year, in which she had given the details about the incident.
The court observed that rape is the most-hated crime as it is not only against a woman but against the whole society.
"Rape is not a crime against person of a woman, it is a crime against the entire society. It destroys the entire psychology of a woman and pushes her into deep emotional crisis," it said.
According to the prosecution, Singh had called the minor, who was living in the same building, and her brother to his room in June 2004. He gave money to her brother and sent him to the market to buy toffees and, thereafter, closed the room and raped the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400