Man jailed for 10 years for raping toddler in Delhi
New Delhi: A man who had raped his relative`s two-year-old daughter here has been awarded 10 years` rigorous imprisonment by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta awarded the jail term to 33-year-old Pyare Lal, a mason, for raping the toddler in 2010 when her parents had gone out for work.
"After delicately balancing and giving due consideration to the facts and circumstances, the aggravating and mitigating factors and circumstances in which the offence had been committed, I am of the considered opinion that the end of justice can be met by sentencing convict Pyare Lal to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years and to pay a fine of Rs 10,000 under section 376 (2)(f) (raping a minor) of the IPC," the judge said.
The court said the prosecution has proved Rohini resident Lal`s guilt beyond reasonable doubt and there is no room for hypothesis.
According to the prosecution, a complaint was registered against Lal by the child`s father, who was the nephew of the accused, that on the morning of August 19, 2010, he and his wife had gone to their work while the victim was at home with his brother and Lal.
He told police that when he returned home in the afternoon, he saw the victim crying in Lal`s lap. On being asked as to what happened, Lal said nothing and picked up his clothes and fled the spot, the complainant said.
The victim`s father also said that the child pointed towards the accused and again started crying.
Lal prayed before the court for a lenient view saying he has to look after his wife and two minor kids and their life would be ruined if he is jailed. But, the court rejected his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’