Man jailed for 10 yrs for raping minor in farmhouse in Delhi
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a man to 10 years in jail for raping a minor when she was alone at a farmhouse here.
Additional sessions judge Virender Bhat convicted Uttar Pradesh resident Nand Kumar and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him, saying he made the 16-year-old victim a soft target for satisfying his lust.
"It is apparent from the record that the convict found the prosecutrix alone in her room on the day of incident and made her a soft target for satisfying his sexual lust.
"The victim pleaded for mercy but the convict did not pay heed to her entreaties and continued with his sinister act. At that time, the convict did not realise even for a second that he himself is a father of four daughters and the victim aged 16 years, at that time, was also like his daughter," the judge said.
According to the prosecution, 52-year-old Kumar had raped the victim in February last year when she was alone in a room of the farmhouse, where she was residing with her family.
The victim`s father, who was working as a gardener at the farmhouse, lodged a complaint with the police alleging that Kumar, who was working in a neighbouring farmhouse, came to his daughter`s room when he and his wife were away for some work and raped her.
The counsel for accused pleaded the judge to take lenient view against Kumar, saying he is the only bread winner in his family and if sent to jail, his family would starve to death.
The judge observed that the convict was not in an "inebriated condition at the time of commission of offence and thus evidently his act was well deliberated upon".
The court also said the crime committed by the convict was intensely grave and serious in nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Twitter modifies 140-character limit, gives a bit more space to tweet!
- Tech Mahindra becomes 3rd entity to quit payments bank plan; cites margin concerns
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits