Man jailed for life for murdering father, assaulting mother
New Delhi: A 38-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court for murdering his father and attempting to kill his mother to grab their property.
District Judge P S Teji also held Chander Mohan Dhingra guilty of attempting to commit suicide after assaulting his parents last year.
"It has duly been established that accused (Chander) was behind the properties of his father and that was the reason he assaulted his parents on the day of incident.
"Accused earlier also used to beat his parents.," the court said while convicting him for the offences.
It also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Chander.
According to the prosecution, on the night of February 7, 2012, accused Chander murdered his father Harnam Dass Dhingra by giving him several knife blows. When his mother Kailash Dhingra tried to save her husband, accused threatened her to move away or else kill her also.
It said when the woman again tried to save her husband, Chander tried to kill her by giving knife blows on her head. After assaulting his parents, the accused inflicted injuries on his body and attempted to commit suicide, it said.
The police said the accused had murdered his father as he was suspecting that his parents might have transferred the property in the name of their daughter by disowning him.
When the neighbours found that the two victims and the accused lying in a pool of blood in their house, the police were called. The three were taken to a hospital where Harnam was declared brought dead.
The police said Krishna Nagar resident Chander was unemployed and was dependent on his parents and used to harass and beat them whenever they would talk to their daughter.
Chander`s father was having cloth business in Gandhi Nagar in east Delhi.
During the trial, the accused claimed that the evidence had been fabricated against him and he had been falsely implicated in the case.
The court, however, said that the acts of accused duly established that he had an intention to murder his parents.
It said that the prosecution had successfully established on record that after assaulting his parents, accused inflicted injuries on his person with a view to committing suicide.
"It has come in evidence that there was no one else in the house when its door was broken open other than accused and his injured parents. So, it has duly been established that the accused attempted to commit suicide after assaulting his parents," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees