Man jailed for seven yrs for molesting, trying to kill woman
New Delhi: Observing that incidents of sexual harassment are "increasing day by day", a Delhi court has sentenced a 30-year-old man to seven years in jail for molesting a woman and trying to murder her when she resisted the act.
Additional sessions judge Sanjeev Kumar sentenced Delhi resident Saligram, who had molested the wife of one of his colleagues after finding her alone in her house and had stabbed her several times with a knife when she protested.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 7,000 on the convict.
"... The offences of the convict are quite grave. The incidents of molestation/sexual harassment of females are increasing day by day. But at the same time, I have to consider that convict Saligram is a young man of 30 years and having old parents and wife and children.
"I order to sentence the convict for seven years of rigorous imprisonment for the offence under section 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC. I further convict him for two years rigorous imprisonment for offence under section 354 (outraging the modesty of woman) of the IPC," the judge said.
According to police, the complaint was lodged by the woman in May 2011 saying that she and her husband, who was working as a guard, were staying in Bawana area here in a building where construction was going on and Saligram was also employed there.
On a day in May 2011, Saligram came to her house when her husband had gone to the market and tried to molest her, she said, adding that when she resisted, he stabbed her with a knife in her neck and stomach and fled the spot.
When her husband returned, she told him about the incident and he took her to a hospital.
During the trial, Saligram claimed that he was implicated in the case by the woman as her husband had borrowed Rs 20,000 from him and when he demanded the money, they refused to pay it and lodged a false case against him.
The court, however, rejected his contention saying that the prosecution had proved that the accused had molested the woman and had stabbed her with an intention to kill her when she protested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next