Man ordered to pay monthly maintenance to parents
New Delhi: A man has been asked by a Delhi court to pay Rs 3,200 per month as maintenance to his aged parents.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Anuradha Shukla Bhardwaj asked the elderly couple`s son to pay maintenance to his parents saying he cannot deny sustenance to them.
The ASJ upheld the trial court`s order and said even otherwise, he should give money in the form of rent to them as he was living in his parents` house.
"Admittedly the house, as of now, is in the name of the mother. The son from that angle also should be liable to pay a rent to the respondents (parents), as if they were his landlords, being the owners of the house.
"Be it from whatever angle, the petitioner (couple`s son) cannot say he is not liable to pay the maintenance as awarded by the trial court to the parents," the court said.
The son had challenged the trial court order saying he was running a small cycle repair shop and was earning Rs 5,000 to Rs 6,000 per month, while his elder brother was earning Rs 20,000.
He also alleged his parents own three immovable properties and had also given out loans to people on interest.
The 74-year-old father and 67-year-old mother told the sessions court that they had demanded the maintenance from the petitioner, their younger son, as his elder brother was poor, while he was earning Rs 35,000 by running a four-wheeler repair work shop.
They added the son was residing in their house and that they had been turned out of their own house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender