Man sentenced to 10 yrs in jailfor possessing drug
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a Delhi court for being found in possession of six kilogram of heroin in 2007.
Arrested along with a Pakistani national after being found in possession of the drug, 52-year-old Aligarh resident Mohammad Burhan was convicted under under various sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act by Special Judge M K Nagpal, who also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him.
Pakistani national Arif Butt, however, had to be declared a proclaimed offender by the court as he jumped the bail and became untraceable.
The court awarded the minimum sentence of 10 years under the NDPS Act to the convict considering that he has now turned totally blind.
"Therefore, keeping in view the age, family background and all the other attending circumstances, the convict (Burhan) is being awarded the minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years and a fine of Rs one Lakh...," the court said.
Butt, who was apprehended by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) officials along with Burhan after they got down from a UP roadways bus here on August 17, 2007, had not appeared before the court after which proclamation proceedings were initiated against him.
During the proceedings, the court was informed by Butt`s surety that he had died and thereafter proceeding against him was abated by the judge but during the arguments on charges in the case, DRI moved an application doubting his death.
This prompted the court to order fresh proceedings against Butt and declare him a proclaimed offender.
The DRI had told the court that it had arrested the duo on a tip off that two persons, carrying a narcotic substance, would arrive at Yamuna Vihar bus stop here by a UP Roadways bus August 17, 2007.
It said during their search, 6.026 kgs heroin was found in Burhan`s bag while Rs 50,000 cash was recovered from Butt`s bag.
During the trial, Burhan claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case and nothing was recovered from him and his signatures were obtained on many blank papers by the DRI officials.
The court, however, convicted him saying, "the evidence led on record also establishes that... The bag containing the contraband substance was brought into Delhi by accused Mohd Burhan as well as the co-accused Arif Butt (since PO), in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared