Man sentenced to 10 yrs in jailfor possessing drug
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a Delhi court for being found in possession of six kilogram of heroin in 2007.
Arrested along with a Pakistani national after being found in possession of the drug, 52-year-old Aligarh resident Mohammad Burhan was convicted under under various sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act by Special Judge M K Nagpal, who also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him.
Pakistani national Arif Butt, however, had to be declared a proclaimed offender by the court as he jumped the bail and became untraceable.
The court awarded the minimum sentence of 10 years under the NDPS Act to the convict considering that he has now turned totally blind.
"Therefore, keeping in view the age, family background and all the other attending circumstances, the convict (Burhan) is being awarded the minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years and a fine of Rs one Lakh...," the court said.
Butt, who was apprehended by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) officials along with Burhan after they got down from a UP roadways bus here on August 17, 2007, had not appeared before the court after which proclamation proceedings were initiated against him.
During the proceedings, the court was informed by Butt`s surety that he had died and thereafter proceeding against him was abated by the judge but during the arguments on charges in the case, DRI moved an application doubting his death.
This prompted the court to order fresh proceedings against Butt and declare him a proclaimed offender.
The DRI had told the court that it had arrested the duo on a tip off that two persons, carrying a narcotic substance, would arrive at Yamuna Vihar bus stop here by a UP Roadways bus August 17, 2007.
It said during their search, 6.026 kgs heroin was found in Burhan`s bag while Rs 50,000 cash was recovered from Butt`s bag.
During the trial, Burhan claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case and nothing was recovered from him and his signatures were obtained on many blank papers by the DRI officials.
The court, however, convicted him saying, "the evidence led on record also establishes that... The bag containing the contraband substance was brought into Delhi by accused Mohd Burhan as well as the co-accused Arif Butt (since PO), in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Goa University Examination Results announced
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)