Man sentenced to 20 days jail for drunk driving
New Delhi: A man held guilty for drunk driving has been sentenced to 20 days imprisonment by a Delhi court, which said that he did not deserve any leniency as he was endangering not only his life but also that of others.
Dismissing the appeal filed by the South West Delhi resident Surjit Sharma against the trial court order, which had also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on him, District Judge Deepa Sharma observed that the alcohol content in his blood was much higher than the permissible limit.
"Surjit was heavily drunk as alcohol content as per his analysis report was found to be 440 mg per 100 ml which is extremely higher than the permissible limit which is 30 mg per 100 ml," the judge said.
Refusing to show any leniency, the court directed that Surjit, who was driving his car in a "heavily drunk" state, should be taken into custody to serve his sentence.
"By driving the car so heavily drunk, he not only was endangering his own life but also the life of other road users. He deserves no leniency. The appeal stands dismissed. Surjit is taken into custody to serve the sentence," the court said.
Seeking dismissal of Surjit`s plea, the prosecution had said that he was apprehended driving his car in an inebriated state on the night of October 3, this year at Mayapuri here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack