Man who killed wife following ‘tiff over sex’ gets 10 yrs
New Delhi: A man who stabbed his wife to death following a tiff over her alleged denial of conjugal bliss to him has been sentenced to 10 years in a jail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Sanjeev Kumar ordered jail term for 31-year-old Outer Delhi resident Amarjeet after holding him guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, saying that he had no "premeditated intention" to kill her.
The court convicted him rejecting his pleas that he and his wife had quarrelled over the issue of sexual intercourse and she had stabbed herself. The court, however, showed leniency to him in awarding the jail term saying he has a three-year-old son to look after.
"Convict has stabbed his wife and caused her death, but he has one child to look after. Therefore, in the facts and circumstances of the case, in my view, punishment for 10 years rigorous imprisonment would be sufficient to meet the end of justice," the judge said, while also imposing a fine of Rs 5,000 on convict.
The prosecution case dated back to May 12, 2011 when Amarjeet, a labourer, forced his wife Chhoti Devi, sleeping with their son on the roof of their house, to come downstairs. The couple ended up having a fight downstairs, following which Amarjeet stabbed her once and fled from there.
The woman was found dead next morning with her son crying nearby, the police told the court.
"From the evidence produced, it is not proved that, accused has any premeditated intention to cause the death of his wife. It appears that due to sudden quarrel between the accused and the deceased, he became infuriated and within spur of moment he had stabbed the deceased from a knife which may be lying in the said room.
"Circumstances suggest he may have intention to injure her but he has no intention to kill her, otherwise, he would have given multiple blows which is not the case," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi