Man who killed wife following ‘tiff over sex’ gets 10 yrs
New Delhi: A man who stabbed his wife to death following a tiff over her alleged denial of conjugal bliss to him has been sentenced to 10 years in a jail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Sanjeev Kumar ordered jail term for 31-year-old Outer Delhi resident Amarjeet after holding him guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, saying that he had no "premeditated intention" to kill her.
The court convicted him rejecting his pleas that he and his wife had quarrelled over the issue of sexual intercourse and she had stabbed herself. The court, however, showed leniency to him in awarding the jail term saying he has a three-year-old son to look after.
"Convict has stabbed his wife and caused her death, but he has one child to look after. Therefore, in the facts and circumstances of the case, in my view, punishment for 10 years rigorous imprisonment would be sufficient to meet the end of justice," the judge said, while also imposing a fine of Rs 5,000 on convict.
The prosecution case dated back to May 12, 2011 when Amarjeet, a labourer, forced his wife Chhoti Devi, sleeping with their son on the roof of their house, to come downstairs. The couple ended up having a fight downstairs, following which Amarjeet stabbed her once and fled from there.
The woman was found dead next morning with her son crying nearby, the police told the court.
"From the evidence produced, it is not proved that, accused has any premeditated intention to cause the death of his wife. It appears that due to sudden quarrel between the accused and the deceased, he became infuriated and within spur of moment he had stabbed the deceased from a knife which may be lying in the said room.
"Circumstances suggest he may have intention to injure her but he has no intention to kill her, otherwise, he would have given multiple blows which is not the case," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'