Mangalore aircrash final report made public
New Delhi: Nearly two years after the
Mangalore air crash claimed 158 lives, the final report
of the Court of Inquiry was made public on Friday, with the
investigators blaming Capt Z Glusica for failing to
discontinue an `unstabilised approach`.
The CoI, headed by former Vice Chief of Air Staff, Air
Marshal Bhushan Nilkanth Gokhale, had found that the direct
cause of the accident was Glusica`s "failure to discontinue
the unstabilised approach and his persistence in continuing
with the landing, despite three calls from the First Officer
(H S Ahluwalia) to `go around` and a number of warnings from
EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning systems)".
Though the main findings of the CoI had been given out
on its submission in October 2010 itself, the entire report
was put up on the Directorate General of Civil Aviation
The report said the final touchdown of the Boeing 737-800
on the morning of May 22, 2010, was "at about 5,200 feet from
the beginning of Runway 24, leaving only about 2,800 feet to
the end of the paved surface, to stop the aircraft."
Soon after landing, the Captain had initiated a "rather
delayed `go around` or an attempted take-off, in contravention
to Standard Operating Procedure laid down by the manufacturer,
Boeing", the report said.
The aircraft had overshot the runway as its right wing
hit the Instrument Landing System localiser structure. It then
rammed into the airport boundary fence and fell into a gorge.
Among a series of recommendation to avoid such accidents
and incidents, the CoI had sought the setting up of an
Independent Civil Aviation Safety Board "urgently, in view of
rapid growth of aviation in the country".
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!