Manipuri youth murder: 4th accused sent to one-day police custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday remanded the fourth accused arrested in connection with the murder of a 29-year-old youth from Manipur in one-day police custody.
While orally observing that "it appears to be an incident of road rage," Metropolitan Magistrate Ashok Kumar sent Azad Chaudhary to police custody till July 24 and allowed the police officials to interrogate him.
"I have gone through the application seeking grant of one day police custody of the arrested accused along with relevant records. Application is allowed and the accused be produced before the court on July 24," the magistrate said.
While seeking his custody, the police said Chaudhary`s custodial interrogation was required to nab another co-accused Lokesh, who was still at large.
Chaudhary (24), a driver by profession and a resident of Garhi Village, was arrested yesterday for his alleged involvement in the crime.
Yesterday, the court had remanded three other arrested accused-- Shakti Basoya (21), his cousin Sanjay Basoya (24) and Rajiv (25) -- in police custody till July 24.
The police had told the court that the accused, who have been arrested in connection with the case after analysis of CCTV footage, have revealed the involvement of one other accused in the crime.
The investigators had told the court that a piece of cloth which was used in the crime was yet to be recovered.
Police had also said that the assault was captured on CCTV cameras installed in the South Delhi`s Kotla Mubarakpur area which showed one of the men wrapping a cloth around victim Akha Salouni`s neck and swinging him around in the air.
It had said that the youths then pinned down the victim on the floor and showered blows and kicks on him.
The accused were booked under Section 302 (murder) of the IPC and various provisions of the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Salouni was allegedly beaten to death by a group of five youths in Kotla Mubarakpur area when the victim along with two friends, Dihe Kazhiihrii (25), a resident of Manipur, and Nagendra Sharma (40), a native of Bihar, went to Masoodpur Colony to attend a party at a friend`s place.
Following the party, they had hired an auto to drop Kazhiihrii at his home at Kotla Mubarakpur. When the auto reached near Gurudwara road, a car arrived from behind and started honking continuously, police had said.
The car occupants abused the auto driver, following which an argument ensued between Salouni and his friends and the five youths.
The argument soon turned ugly following which five youths, all of whom were apparently in an inebriated state, alighted from the car and attacked the three. While Kazhiihrii and Sharma managed to flee, Salouni was caught by them, police had said.
Kazhiihrii called the police around 3:30 AM, after which a police team reached the spot and rushed Salouni, who was unconscious, to AIIMS trauma centre where doctors declared him brought dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan
- IPL 2016 Final: Tickets sold out in 2 hours
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31
- BJP's Assam MLA Angoorlata Deka's viral 'picture': You will be SHOCKED to know the truth!