Manmohan Singh must visit Pakistan: Daily
Islamabad: The Pakistan-India relationship is drifting again since there is next to nothing to show on the "fiendishly difficult" fronts like Kashmir, Siachen and terrorism, a leading Pakistani daily said Tuesday, hoping Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will visit Islamabad soon.
Salman Bashir, Pakistan`s new high commissioner to India, has said that "the atmospherics have witnessed a sea change" in the relationship between the two countries.
Dawn said in an editorial that "Bashir may well be right and in a relationship as fraught and contentious as the one between the two South Asian neighbours `atmospherics` are nothing to be scoffed at".
"However, there is a sense that rather than Bashir`s upbeat assessment, the relationship is drifting again. Trade negotiations have been bogged down in minutiae, a more liberal visa regime has seemingly been stalled and there`s next to nothing to show on the fiendishly more difficult fronts: Kashmir, Siachen and terrorism," it said.
The daily said that perhaps what can "reinvigorate the push for normalisation of ties between India and Pakistan is the much talked about but never quite near enough visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Pakistan".
"Intransigence and stubbornness of the security and foreign-policy establishments on both sides is almost a given, so it comes down to finding someone who can rise about the calcified and ossified positions of old and drag ties forward.
"Throughout his tenure as prime minister, Singh has appeared to be the man who could possibly make it happen - but time is running out. Weakened domestically and unable to find a partner in Pakistan who is willing to meet him half way, the space for Singh to manoeuvre on Pakistan has certainly diminished a great deal," it said.
The editorial went on to say that from the Indian side, the shadow of the Mumbai attacks still lingers and "a significant gesture from Pakistan - expediting the trial of the suspects here perhaps - is yet to come".
"The weight of history means that both sides have a thousand and one reasons to not genuinely seek a full peace with one another. So officials like Singh, so obviously and so genuinely interested in peace with Pakistan, do not come about often, it said, adding: "He (Singh) should follow his instinct. Roll the dice: visit Pakistan. Of such gestures is history sometimes made."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!