Manu Sharma parole: Delhi govt seeks assistance of Solicitor General of India
New Delhi: Delhi Government has sought
assistance of Solicitor General of India Gopal Subrahmanium
in the Delhi High Court`s hearing relating to the case of
granting parole to Jessica Lal murder case convict Manu
"We have requested the Solicitor General of India to
appear for us in the hearing and he has agreed to it," a
senior official of Delhi Government told a news agency.
The Delhi High Court yesterday came down heavily on
the city government for giving preferential treatment to
Sharma in granting parole while neglecting such pleas of
"poor" people languishing in jail for years.
Sources said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit held a
meeting with Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta and Principal
Secretary (Home) J S Patnaik to discuss the issue.
The court directed the government to take an unbiased
approach while dealing with parole pleas and asked it to
decide all the 98 pending parole applications within a month.
Sharma was released from jail on parole on September
22 but he returned to Tihar jail on November 10 before
expiry of his two-month parole following mounting criticism
that he violated norms under which he was granted the benefit
by the Delhi Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations