Manu Sharma was in my bar: Arjun Rampal
New Delhi: Actor Arjun Rampal on Tuesday confirmed that Manu Sharma, serving a life term for the 1999 murder of model Jessica Lal, was in his lounge bar LAP late Friday when he was out on parole. The Delhi government has sought a police report on the incident.
"The close circuit television camera footage has shown that Manu Sharma had come to the pub along with one of the members Sahil Dhingra," Rampal, who owns the bar, told reporters here.
The CCTV footage has been given to the police.
Rampal said he has cancelled the membership of Dhingra, owner of leading apparel exporter Orient Craft, after the incident. LAP, located in Hotel Samrat in Chanakyapuri area, permits entry only to its members.
The police had come to LAP following a complaint against Dhingra. It was said that Dhingra had a tiff with the son of a senior police officer in F bar of the Ashok Hotel next door, following which he and Sharma went to the LAP.
The police picked up Dhingra from the bar, while Sharma managed to escape from the rear door. The police later picked many people including Samir Thapar, vice president and managing director of JCT. Thapar was detained for nearly eight hours before being released.
Sharma had come under fire for his presence in the bar. He was granted parole on the ground that his mother was seriously ill and he had to attend to family business matters.
His parole was extended November 22 for 30 more days on Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit`s recommendation to the Lieutenant Governor.
After Sharma was seen partying in LAP, the Dikshit-led Congress government came under severe criticism for releasing him on parole.
On Saturday, his mother Shakti Rani held a press conference in the family-run Piccadilly Hotel in Chandigarh to give a brief on a national under-19 women`s cricket tournament.
That raised more questions about the state of her health.
After facing criticism from opposition parties and legal experts, the state government has asked Delhi Police to submit a report on the entire episode.
"We have been asked to submit a report," a senior police officer said.
Rampal said: "Sharma is out for the wrong reasons. We do not want such people to easily enter anywhere. Such people are mentally ill and can do anything. We will now beef up our security."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey