Manu Sharma was in my bar: Arjun Rampal
New Delhi: Actor Arjun Rampal on Tuesday confirmed that Manu Sharma, serving a life term for the 1999 murder of model Jessica Lal, was in his lounge bar LAP late Friday when he was out on parole. The Delhi government has sought a police report on the incident.
"The close circuit television camera footage has shown that Manu Sharma had come to the pub along with one of the members Sahil Dhingra," Rampal, who owns the bar, told reporters here.
The CCTV footage has been given to the police.
Rampal said he has cancelled the membership of Dhingra, owner of leading apparel exporter Orient Craft, after the incident. LAP, located in Hotel Samrat in Chanakyapuri area, permits entry only to its members.
The police had come to LAP following a complaint against Dhingra. It was said that Dhingra had a tiff with the son of a senior police officer in F bar of the Ashok Hotel next door, following which he and Sharma went to the LAP.
The police picked up Dhingra from the bar, while Sharma managed to escape from the rear door. The police later picked many people including Samir Thapar, vice president and managing director of JCT. Thapar was detained for nearly eight hours before being released.
Sharma had come under fire for his presence in the bar. He was granted parole on the ground that his mother was seriously ill and he had to attend to family business matters.
His parole was extended November 22 for 30 more days on Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit`s recommendation to the Lieutenant Governor.
After Sharma was seen partying in LAP, the Dikshit-led Congress government came under severe criticism for releasing him on parole.
On Saturday, his mother Shakti Rani held a press conference in the family-run Piccadilly Hotel in Chandigarh to give a brief on a national under-19 women`s cricket tournament.
That raised more questions about the state of her health.
After facing criticism from opposition parties and legal experts, the state government has asked Delhi Police to submit a report on the entire episode.
"We have been asked to submit a report," a senior police officer said.
Rampal said: "Sharma is out for the wrong reasons. We do not want such people to easily enter anywhere. Such people are mentally ill and can do anything. We will now beef up our security."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video