Married in India 30 yrs ago, court orders Pak woman`s deportation
New Delhi: A Pakistani woman married to an Indian 30 years ago and has been staying here since then was on Thursday directed by a Delhi court to be deported to her country as she was found overstaying here illegally.
Nuzhat Jahan was directed to be deported to Pakistan without any delay by Additional Sessions Judge Narinder Kumar.
The court passed the order on an appeal filed by her against her conviction by a magisterial court and sentencing to six months jail and Rs 7,000 fine.
The ASJ rejected her plea against the conviction and deportation sought on humanitarian grounds as she has spent 30 years in India and her two sons and a daughter are also married here.
"Although accused and her family members have to suffer on account of deportation, this court has no option but to uphold the order of the magistrate as the law so requires," the judge said, directing Delhi government to deport her to Pakistan without any delay.
It, however, reduced her sentence to 6-day imprisonment and fine of Rs 2,000.
After hearing the court`s order, both Nuzhat and her husband Gulfam broke down in the court. Nuzhat said she has nobody to go to in Pakistan after 30 years.
Nuzhat got married to Gulfam, an Indian national, on August 2, 1983 and came to India in May 23, 1985.
She then applied for a long-term visa which was granted to her and her passport was also extended upto September 1993. Her long-term visa was also further extended upto March 1993.
She was sent reminders and notices for visa extension and passport revalidation in 2000 and 2002 but in vain.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!