Mason gets 10 years in jail for raping woman labourer
New Delhi: A 38-year-old mason has been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a Delhi court for raping a young woman who had come from Madhya Pradesh with her mother to work as a labourer at a construction site here.
Additional Sessions Judge MC Gupta awarded the jail term to Uttar Pradesh native Raj Kumar Gupta for raping the woman thrice, at her rented accommodation, in March 2010.
"Having regard to the facts and circumstances of the case coupled with the submissions made by the convict, I am of the opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convict Raj Kumar Gupta to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of ten years and to pay a fine of Rs 10,000 under section 376 (rape) of the IPC," the judge said.
According to the prosecution, the victim, who was 20-year-old at the time of commission of offence, was raped by Gupta at her accommodation in sector 22, Rohini here.
The victim, a native of Panna in Madhya Pradesh, in her complaint had said that she had come to Delhi along with her mother and younger siblings to work at a construction site.
She had alleged that Gupta, who used to live in the same locality, came to her home one day when she was alone and raped her and thereafter, he raped her on two more occasions and threatened her to not tell anyone.
She had then returned to her native place in May 2010, but Gupta had followed her to the village to allegedly kill her. He had, however, fled from there when the victim`s brother had called villagers for help, the prosecution had said.
Subsequently, the victim disclosed to her mother that she had been raped thrice by Gupta and a case of rape was lodged against him in Panna in June 2010, the prosecution had said, adding that Gupta was arrested in December 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’