Mayor calls off inspection as locals protest against MCD
New Delhi: Delhi Mayor Prithvi Raj Sawhney`s
inspection tour to congested Jamia Nagar, which has witnessed
a series of dengue cases, was aborted midway on Wednesday after
locals protested against MCD and a scuffle ensued.
Sawhney along with MCD Leader of House Subhash Arya
reached Jamia Nagar around 12:30 pm and started interacting
with locals at a meeting.
But within ten minutes, Sawhney had to call off the
inspection and return as locals entered into a scuffle with
Councillor Mohd Jamaluddin started the proceedings by
briefing the Mayor about the problems faced by the locals.
The trouble started when Arya told the gathering that MCD
was not in a position to clean a drain belonging to UP
Irrigation Department, a demand raised by the locals.
This enraged the locals who entered into a scuffle with
Following this, Sawhney called off the inspection and
left the spot in his car.
The Mayor decided to conduct an inspection in the area
following reports of a surge in dengue cases in Jamia Nagar
and Okhla areas. Local residents have claimed that over 15
people died due to dengue there, though officials maintain
that only two suspected dengue deaths have been reported.
A cleanliness drive was carried out in Jamia Nagar and
Okhla areas on Monday.
Officials said field-based health centres were set up in
both the areas. Since, Jamia Nagar and Okhla are densely-
populated and drainage system is not proper, mosquito breeding
had been found to be high in these localities, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security