Mayors seek Lt Governor`s intervention for relief to e-rickshaw drivers
New Delhi: Mayors of all three municipal corporations in Delhi on Thursday requested Lt Governor Najeeb Jung to urge Delhi High Court to allow e-rickshaws to ply in the national capital while a policy is awaited for these vehicles.
The civic body leaders called on Jung today and proposed that, for the time being, the operation of these vehicles be brought under the purview of the civic bodies, as is the case with cycle rickshaws.
North Delhi Mayor Yogender Chandolia, South Delhi Mayor Khushi Ram Chunar and East Delhi Mayor Meenakhshi met Jung today along with the Leader of the House in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC), Subhash Arya.
Arya said that relief should be extended to e-rickshaw drivers as this has emerged as a medium of employment on which many families are dependent, according to a statement today.
Delhi High Court yesterday said that e-rickshaws will remain off the roads for now and refused Centre`s request for grant of interim permission to these for plying despite draft guidelines having already been framed for their regulation.
The regularisation of these battery-operated vehicles has been planned through the three municipal corporations, but the Centre is awaiting the court`s nod.
Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari had yesterday said that steps will be taken to restart e-rickshaw operations in Delhi once high court gives its nod.
High court had on July 31 ordered a ban on the plying of e-rickshaws in the national capital, saying they were illegally running on Delhi roads and prima facie pose "a hazard to other traffic and citizens as well".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!