MBBS seats case: HC asks CBI to verify Masood`s medical condition
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked CBI to verify the medical condition of jailed Congress leader Rasheed Masood, serving four-year-jail term in the medical seat allotment case, on his plea for suspension of his sentence on health grounds while granting two-month interim bail to a co-convict and former IAS officer.
"Let the medical condition of the appellant be verified and status report be placed on record before the next date of hearing. The medical record of the treatment of the appellant be also placed on record," a bench of justice J R Midha said.
The high court directed the jail authorities to ensure that Masood gets proper treatment in the meantime.
67-year-old Masood, who was disqualified from Rajya Sabha after his conviction, has sought interim suspension of his sentence on medical grounds saying he is acute diabetic and is taking insulin several times a day besides other medicines for his old-age ailments.
Meanwhile, the bench also granted two-month interim bail to Amal Kumar Roy, a retired IAS officer and the then Secretary of Tripura Chief Minister Sudhir Ranjan Majumdar, on medical grounds.
Roy, aged above 75, was also sentenced to four-year jail term by a special CBI court in the MBBS seat allotment scam and is at present admitted in DDU Hospital here.
"Considering the present condition of the appellant, he is directed to be released on interim bail for two months on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh and a surety of like amount," the bench said after perusing CBI`s report verifying his medical condition and also the report of senior medical officer of Tihar jail which said Roy has been admitted in DDU Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...