MBBS seats case: HC asks CBI to verify Masood`s medical condition
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked CBI to verify the medical condition of jailed Congress leader Rasheed Masood, serving four-year-jail term in the medical seat allotment case, on his plea for suspension of his sentence on health grounds while granting two-month interim bail to a co-convict and former IAS officer.
"Let the medical condition of the appellant be verified and status report be placed on record before the next date of hearing. The medical record of the treatment of the appellant be also placed on record," a bench of justice J R Midha said.
The high court directed the jail authorities to ensure that Masood gets proper treatment in the meantime.
67-year-old Masood, who was disqualified from Rajya Sabha after his conviction, has sought interim suspension of his sentence on medical grounds saying he is acute diabetic and is taking insulin several times a day besides other medicines for his old-age ailments.
Meanwhile, the bench also granted two-month interim bail to Amal Kumar Roy, a retired IAS officer and the then Secretary of Tripura Chief Minister Sudhir Ranjan Majumdar, on medical grounds.
Roy, aged above 75, was also sentenced to four-year jail term by a special CBI court in the MBBS seat allotment scam and is at present admitted in DDU Hospital here.
"Considering the present condition of the appellant, he is directed to be released on interim bail for two months on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh and a surety of like amount," the bench said after perusing CBI`s report verifying his medical condition and also the report of senior medical officer of Tihar jail which said Roy has been admitted in DDU Hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory