MCD begins sealing of unauthorized mobile phone towers
New Delhi: The Municipal Council of Delhi (MCD) Thursday initiated the sealing of unauthorized mobile phone towers in Delhi with Karol Bagh being the first locality to be hit in the process.
The sealing began in the presence of police who were deployed to thwart any attempt to disturb law and order in the wake of the decision.
Media reports state that it may have begun in other places of the city as well and since it was shrouded in secrecy, so far only Karol Bagh case has come to light.
"The MCD commissioner will have the right to withdraw the sanction to any mobile tower at any time. We are also planning to propose third-party insurance for the mobile towers," said a senior MCD official who didn`t wish to be named.
As part of the norms of the new cellular tower policy which was approved by the MCD recently, cell phone operators will also have to shell out more to install towers in the city. Currently, the MCD gets Rs 1 lakh from the operators to install a tower. This rate has been increased between Rs 3 and 5 lakh depending on how many cellular providers are sharing one tower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui