MCD blamed for Lalita Park building collapse
New Delhi: Squarely blaming the BJP-ruled MCD
for the 2010 Lalita Park building collapse in which 70 people
died, an inquiry appointed by Delhi government has castigated
the civic body for "miserably failing" in finding out the
existence of the unauthorised structure for several years.
The Commission of Inquiry headed by retired Justice
Lokeshwar Prasad also took a dig at the Delhi Development
Authority (DDA) for its failure in preventing the owner of the
building from adding several floors to the unauthorised
Seventy people, mostly migrants from Bihar and West
Bengal, were killed in the building collapse that took place
on November 15, 2010 in Lalita Park locality in East Delhi.
Several floors were added in an unauthorised manner to the
structure which came crashing down like a pack of cards due to
accumulation of water in the ground floor.
Since the owner, Amrit Singh, began construction on the
land in 1988 in Lalita Park, when the area was already with
MCD, the regulation of building activities was the
responsibility of the civic body and its functionaries, the
CoI said in its report, which was tabled in the Delhi Assembly
Blaming the Building and Tax Departments of the MCD for
their failure in concluding that the building was unauthorised
construction, the report said, "All these departments of MCD
have miserably failed in discharging their statutory duty on
their own, independently much so less in co-ordination with
It said even if one department had done its duty by being
vigilant and bringing the real facts to the fore, the
"unfortunate building" would not have been constructed in a
"The Commission is at a loss to understand as to the
purpose of having such a huge department with mammoth
workforce, empowered with statutory arsenal, if an individual
can still have his way in blatant violation of law," it said.
Pulling up the DDA for not co-operating with it by giving
required details and reports, the Commission concluded that
the responsibility of the DDA is no less than that of the MCD
for the collapse of the building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in