MCD budget meeting adjourned after ruckus over councillor fund
New Delhi: For the first time, a special
meeting of MCD to present its budget estimates was adjourned
midway on Friday after the opposition Congress created a ruckus
accusing ruling BJP of misleading people on allocating
additional Rs 50 lakh to councillors for development work.
MCD Standing Committee Chairman Yogender Chandolia, who
was to read out his budget proposals, could only table the
document amid din. After the meeting was adjourned, BJP flayed
Congress for the disruption and took out a protest march.
BJP members went to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna`s
residence while state party chief Vijender Gupta, Chandolia
and Leader of MCD House Subhash Arya met him and demanded
action against Congress leaders for creating a "constitutional
crisis" by stalling the presentation of budget.
"The L-G has assured us he will order an inquiry into it
saying that in democracy everyone has the right to place their
views but nobody can flout the MCD rules," Arya claimed.
It was trouble from the word go as even before Chandolia
could raise from his seat, Congress member Satbir Sharma was
on his feet, asking why the announcement of allocating Rs 50
lakh more under the councillors` fund was made without "taking
the administration into confidence".
He said the announcement was made at a meeting of MCD
House on December 13 but when members are approaching the
officials with estimates for their development works, they are
being told that there is no money. Congress members alleged
that Chairmen of Standing and Works Committee as well as the
Mayor has written letters about release of funds but no money
was being made available for the councillors.
Congress councillors raised slogans like "take back false
letters" and trooped into the well. BJP members also shouted
counter-slogans. Commissioner K S Mehra said funds would be
released if such a proposal comes from Standing Committee and
is cleared by the House but this failed to satisfy Congress.
After 50 minutes of uproar, the meeting was adjourned.
Gupta and Arya later told reporters that Congress members
created a "constitutional crisis" as for the first time, a
special budget meeting had to be adjourned midway. They said
as per rules, no business unrelated to budget can be moved,
discussed or transacted in such a meeting.
"The Congress should say sorry to people. We want to ask
the Congress high command whether they had given consent to
such behaviour. If not, they should clarify it and remove the
leader of opposition who is responsible for this. The
government is trying to stifle the local body," Gupta said.
Leader of Opposition J K Sharma said BJP should say sorry
for misleading people by announcing the additional budget and
accept they have committed a mistake.
Both parties also tried to give a `Dalit` angle with BJP
saying Chandolia was not allowed to speak as he was Dalit
while Congress claimed the ruling side abruptly adjourned the
meeting without trying to resolve the issue as they wanted to
"embarrass" the Dalit leader. The budget will now be presented
at another special meeting of MCD on Monday.
Chandolia later issued a statement alleging that Congress
was showing anti-Dalit attitude and that the Leader of
Opposition intentionally disrupts the meetings chaired by
him. He said he has demanded that Sharma`s membership of MCD
In his budget proposals too, Chadolia has taken on the
Congress, accusing the Delhi government of trying to "weaken"
the civic body.
Chandolia has rejected the five per cent across-the-board
property tax hike proposed by Municipal Commissioner K S Mehra
in December last year. He has recommended an increase of Rs
579.20 crore over the Rs 6364.43 crore expenditure for 2011-12
proposed by the Commissioner, taking the total to Rs 6943.63
The Standing Committee Chairman has also announced
increased allocation under various heads for each ward.
Rs 50 lakh will be given for improvement of roads in each
ward, incurring an expenditure of Rs 136 crore. The allocation
under other heads are -- sanitation services (Rs 25 lakh each
-- incurring Rs 68 crore), maintenance works (Rs 75 lakh each
-- incurring Rs 204 crore), streetlighting in wards (Rs five
lakh each -- incurring Rs 1.36 crore) besides Rs 50 crore for
civic amenities in unauthorised colonies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark