MCD defers sealing action in central Delhi
New Delhi: The MCD`s planned extensive
sealing action against commercial establishments not paying
conversion charges was deferred in some parts of the city
today as traders lined up in large numbers to submit their
However, in other areas the drive is expected to start
from tomorrow, officials said.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi has been undertaking
sealing action against shops and commercial establishments in
the capital after their owners failed to deposit the necessary
conversion charges. Officials had earlier said the drive was
to gain momentum after Holi.
Traders from various areas, particularly those falling
under Central Zone, lined up in large numbers before the
Building Department offices today to pay their dues. Officials
said the drive has been deferred as the civic body wants to
give the defaulters an opportunity to clear their dues.
"Our focus is on collecting the conversion charges rather
than sealing properties. So we are giving the traders a chance
to clear their dues. If they do not do so, of course,
necessary action will be taken," an official said.
In some other parts like South Zone and Rohini Zone,
however, the drive may be started from tomorrow.
"Today, we could not launch the drive as adequate number
of police personnel was not available. We will request for
security personnel and sealing will start from tomorrow," an
official from South Zone said.
The conversion charge is necessary for shops in stretches
notified as commercial or mixed land use under Master Plan for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC