MCD demolishes 9 unauthorised properties
New Delhi: Acting against illegal
constructions, the MCD on Tuesday demolished 9 unauthorised constructions by builders in north Delhi.
During the drive launched by the Building Department
of Civil Lines Zone, action was taken against properties in
Suraj Nagar, Burari, Wazirabad, Nehru Vihar, Jahangirpuri and
Mahendra Park, officials said.
Facing flak over unchecked growth of unauthorised
constructions after a building with two illegal floors
collapsed in east Delhi on November 15 killing 70 people, the
civic body has intensified its drive against such properties.
The demolition drive in Civil Lines Zone will continue
in the coming days, MCD officials said adding, it will cause
"jitters" among the "builder lobby" and make public aware
about "unscrupulous" builders.
Last week, 16 illegal constructions were demolished by
the Building Department in different municipal wards of Civil
Lines Zone, they said.
MCD today also removed 80 small shops, including
cracker selling units, in Azad Market in central Delhi to
facilitate construction of a flyover on Rani Jhansi Road,
The shopkeepers were given vending rights but they
turned their units into pucca (permanent) ones, the officials
said, adding, they were given notices and alternative sites
and action has been taken against only those who refused to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing