MCD demolishes 9 unauthorised properties
New Delhi: Acting against illegal
constructions, the MCD on Tuesday demolished 9 unauthorised constructions by builders in north Delhi.
During the drive launched by the Building Department
of Civil Lines Zone, action was taken against properties in
Suraj Nagar, Burari, Wazirabad, Nehru Vihar, Jahangirpuri and
Mahendra Park, officials said.
Facing flak over unchecked growth of unauthorised
constructions after a building with two illegal floors
collapsed in east Delhi on November 15 killing 70 people, the
civic body has intensified its drive against such properties.
The demolition drive in Civil Lines Zone will continue
in the coming days, MCD officials said adding, it will cause
"jitters" among the "builder lobby" and make public aware
about "unscrupulous" builders.
Last week, 16 illegal constructions were demolished by
the Building Department in different municipal wards of Civil
Lines Zone, they said.
MCD today also removed 80 small shops, including
cracker selling units, in Azad Market in central Delhi to
facilitate construction of a flyover on Rani Jhansi Road,
The shopkeepers were given vending rights but they
turned their units into pucca (permanent) ones, the officials
said, adding, they were given notices and alternative sites
and action has been taken against only those who refused to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka