MCD election not a referendum on my govt: Sheila
New Delhi: In her first reaction after Congress suffered a huge blow in the recently held Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) elections, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday tried to shift blame for the party’s poor show, saying that no single person is responsible for the debacle.
“I am responsible for the governance and performance of the government… "This was not my election…We will see when it comes to state elections,” Sheila Dikshit told reporters.
"It is no one`s responsibility... Our seats have increased, so has our vote share, and BJP has won by a narrow margin. We will deliberate on the details," she told reporters.
Dikshit, who is in her third consecutive term as chief minister, agreed that price-rise was an issue.
“Congress was not able to explain the particular issue to the people,” Dikshit said adding, “Price rise has nothing to do with MCD polls.”
When asked about her decision to split the MCD into three parts which was seen as a ploy to weaken Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Dikshit categorically said that her move will only improve the civic administration in Delhi and not her government.
“Isn’t there corruption in MCD…? Is the BJP clean? Now they have again come to power, let’s see what they do,” the Delhi Chief Minister said when she was asked whether corruption was another issue which led to Congress party’s defeat.
“We are analysing the situation and corrective measures will be taken,” Dikshit further stated.
Putting up an impressive victory, the ruling BJP on Tuesday retained control over Delhi Municipality Corporations, winning all three newly-carved civic bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls