MCD election results 2012: BJP voted back to power
New Delhi: Putting up an impressive victory, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday retained control over Delhi Municipality Corporations, winning all three newly-carved civic bodies.
In the first municipal elections after the MCD was divided, the saffron party captured 138 out of total 272 seats, while the Congress ended up with a distant second, winning 78.
However, the main Opposition party also made a minor gain of 11 seats more than its total tally in 2007 elections. Fifteen seats went to BSP`s kitty.
South Delhi In South Delhi Corporation, out of the 104 wards, BJP won 44 and Congress bagged 30. Five seats went to the BSP. Surprisingly, smaller parties and independents won as many as 26 seats.
North Delhi In North Delhi, which is known as BJP’s citadel, of the 104 wards, the saffron party won 59 seats, while the Congress won just 29. Seven seats were won by the BSP, while others won 9 seats.
East Delhi In East Delhi Corporation, of the 64-ward, BJP won 35 seats, while Congress won 19 seats only. Three seats went to BSP and the others won 7.
South Delhi has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by North (885) and East (634).
A total of 2,423 candidates contested from 272 wards, which saw a record 58 percent turnout on Sunday.
A sum total of 1.12 crore eligible voters exercised their franchise in the polls which include 42.95 lakh voters in North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 42.67 lakh voters in South Delhi Municipal Corporation and 27.16 lakh voters in East Delhi Municipal Corporation.
The outcome of the municipal polls is seen as crucial for both BJP and Congress and seen as the semi final for the Delhi Assembly polls which is just 18 months away.
The first result to be declared was that of Shahdara (SC) in East Corporation where BJP`s Balbir Singh defeated Congress` Jagdish by a margin of 1,28 votes. Singh polled 6,809 votes while his nearest rival got 5,571 votes.
BJP`s Subhash Arya, the Leader of undivided MCD House, trumped his rival from Congress Manmohan Singh Kochar. MCD Leader of Opposition Jai Kishan Sharma (Congress) lost his electoral battle from Najafgarh.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta`s wife Shobha has won in Rohini Central defeating her Congress rival Dr Monica Puri. Delhi Mayor Rajni Abbi (BJP) is also leading in Mukherjee Nagar.
Among other prominent candidates who have won the election in their respective wards are: Dharmveer (Congress) from RK Puram, Radhey Shyam (BJP) from Vasant Vihar, Tulsi Ram from Dharampura, BJP’s Deputy Mayor Anil Sharma has also won with a comfortable margin. Pramila Tukas, who contested as an independent candidate from Munirka, has also tasted success.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH