MCD may auction cars if used vehicle sellers encroach space
New Delhi: After carrying out several
drives against second-hand car dealers who encroach on public
space, the MCD is contemplating more serious action against
repeat offenders, including possible auctioning of their
The MCD said the action of impounding cars parked on
public space and giving them back to dealers after collecting
fines is having no effect on some of them.
"We have carried out drives in various zones against
second-hand car bazars in which dealers keep their vehicles
parked on public space. Generally, we impound the cars and
give them back after collecting fines. But many of them again
do the same thing," Municipal Commissioner K S Mehra told a
meeting of the MCD Standing Committee.
The MCD is now contemplating "disposing off" cars
impounded from repeat offenders including the option of
auctioning them, he said.
"They are doing it again and again. There is need for
strict action. How many times can we fine them? We are trying
to make them understand that keeping public space free is
important," Mehra later told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far