MCD official gets 3 yrs in jail in graft case
New Delhi: A Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) official and his tout have been sentenced to varying jail terms by a Delhi court for taking bribe to allow reconstruction of a building.
Special Judge Dharmesh Sharma sentenced MCD Assistant Zonal Inspector Ravinder Kumar Sehrawat of civic body`s House Tax Department to three years in jail, while sentencing his 39-year-old tout Ram Singh Rawat, who used to extract money from the public on his behalf, to a year in jail.
The court sentenced the duo saying they had devised an "ingenuous ploy" to extract illegal gratification from vulnerable sections of the society.
"This court is not oblivious of such practises prevailing in several government departments where private individuals are working and performing official duties for one or the other public servant.
"The public interest demands that such tendencies must be curbed with an iron hand," the judge said adding "when the duties are assigned to a public servant, such duties must be performed by as per the code of conduct and etiquettes provided under the service jurisprudence."
After imposing the jail term, the court, however, put off their sentences and granted them bail to enable them go in appeal against their conviction and sentencing.
The prosecution case dated back to June 10, 2003, when Saket resident Alok Gupta lodged a compliant with the CBI that Rawat, acting in collusion with Sehrawat, had demanded a bribe of Rs 5,000 for a `No Objection Certificate` to allow him reconstruct his house.
On Gupta`s complaint, the CBI laid a trap and arrested Rawat red-handed while accepting a bribe of Rs 5,000.
The court rejected the defence counsel`s contention that both the accused were falsely implicated in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM