MCD opens 37 new night shelters, to house 5000 more people
New Delhi: After a Supreme Court directive
to authorities to ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in
Delhi, the MCD today opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, which is under the grip of a cold wave.
This brings the total number of night shelters run by MCD
to 64, officials said.
"We have opened the 37 new night shelters in compliance
of the directions of the Supreme Court issued yesterday. Their
total capacity is about 5000 people," an MCD official said.
The new night shelters have been opened in the permanent
structures of the existing community halls of the Slum and JJ
The MCD was already operating 27 night shelters. Out of
these, 17 are permanent night shelters, two are permanent
night shelters for women and children and eight are temporary
shelters to be run till March 31.
"MCD provides blankets, mats, drinking water and public
convenience at these shelters. The services are free of charge
during winter," it said in a statement.
Taking serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
yesterday directed the Delhi Government to ensure adequate
shelters, blankets and water facilities for the homeless.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India