MCD opens 37 new night shelters, to house 5000 more people
New Delhi: After a Supreme Court directive
to authorities to ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in
Delhi, the MCD today opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, which is under the grip of a cold wave.
This brings the total number of night shelters run by MCD
to 64, officials said.
"We have opened the 37 new night shelters in compliance
of the directions of the Supreme Court issued yesterday. Their
total capacity is about 5000 people," an MCD official said.
The new night shelters have been opened in the permanent
structures of the existing community halls of the Slum and JJ
The MCD was already operating 27 night shelters. Out of
these, 17 are permanent night shelters, two are permanent
night shelters for women and children and eight are temporary
shelters to be run till March 31.
"MCD provides blankets, mats, drinking water and public
convenience at these shelters. The services are free of charge
during winter," it said in a statement.
Taking serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
yesterday directed the Delhi Government to ensure adequate
shelters, blankets and water facilities for the homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown