MCD polls: Cong terms BJP manifesto a `bunch of lies`
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday sought to tear into the BJP`s manifesto for the upcoming Delhi municipal polls calling it a "bunch of lies" and list of "false promises" carried forward from the previous election.
The party claimed that the BJP, which is the ruling party
in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), had "totally
failed" in meeting the civic body`s target and had led it into
a financial mess.
"They (BJP) can`t count on a single achievement during
their tenure of five years. What they have been telling (in
the manifesto) is nothing but all lie," DPCC chief Jai Prakash
Agarwal told reporters here.
Commenting on the manifesto released by BJP today, he
said the party has only carried forward its list of "false
promises from the previous elections" and is "cheating" the
people of Delhi in the name of development.
"When they say unnecessary taxes will be removed, do they
forget that toll tax and house tax have gone up during its
tenure in MCD," Agarwal alleged.
He also claimed that during BJP`s tenure, state of basic
amenities in Delhi has only worsened. "No effective drainage
system is in place. People come across immense water logging
during monsoons, making them vulnerable to some deadly
diseases like dengue and chikungunya," he said.
Taking on the party on the front of education, Agarwal
claimed that the state of MCD schools is known to one and all,
and even Delhi High Court has slammed MCD for not maintaining
infrastructure facilities in these schools up to the mark.
On the issue of sealing, he alleged the "real face" of
the party has got exposed before the traders` community. "They
promised relief for those affected from sealing. Have you seen
any relief being provided to them," he said.
When asked about BJP`s challenge for an open debate over
a range of issues, Agarwal said, "He was ready for it on any
However, he parried questions on the performance of
Sheila Dikshit government, saying that "these issues would be
discussed during the Assembly elections."
Congress minister AK Walia alleged that the MCD had
"totally failed" to meet all the targets it set. "Delhi
government gave ample funds to the MCD, which it failed to
"Out of its target of 17 underpasses, it managed to
construct only 6. Same was the state of multi level parkings.
City`s solid waste disposal management is tottering," Walia
Claiming that the financial health of MCD only
deteriorated during BJP rule, Walia said in its annual budget
for 2011-12, MCD`s expenditures overshot its income.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof