MCD polls: We accept people’s verdict, says Cong
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday accepted what looked like an imminent defeat in the recently concluded elections for the three civic bodies as the early trends suggested a complete rout of the party after the first few hours of counting of votes.
In his first reaction to the emerging trends, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, “We accept people’s verdict. We will certainly try to ascertain the causes of our poor showing in the days to come.”
However, the Congress leader was quick to downplay main opposition BJP’s comfortable lead in the civic body polls in Delhi by saying, “The MCD polls results should be seen in that context only. It will not have a bearing on Congress’ prospects in the coming elections,” adding, “Congress has been winning the Assembly elections for the past 15 years and our candidates have won all seven Parliamentary seats from Delhi. This itself shows our strength.”
He, however, admitted that there were local issues which led to party’s poor performance in the civic body elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!