MCD polls: We accept people’s verdict, says Cong
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday accepted what looked like an imminent defeat in the recently concluded elections for the three civic bodies as the early trends suggested a complete rout of the party after the first few hours of counting of votes.
In his first reaction to the emerging trends, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, “We accept people’s verdict. We will certainly try to ascertain the causes of our poor showing in the days to come.”
However, the Congress leader was quick to downplay main opposition BJP’s comfortable lead in the civic body polls in Delhi by saying, “The MCD polls results should be seen in that context only. It will not have a bearing on Congress’ prospects in the coming elections,” adding, “Congress has been winning the Assembly elections for the past 15 years and our candidates have won all seven Parliamentary seats from Delhi. This itself shows our strength.”
He, however, admitted that there were local issues which led to party’s poor performance in the civic body elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny