MCD polls: Young turks lead charge for Cong, BJP
New Delhi: Young turks for development and
change seems to be the mantra for Congress and BJP in the
Delhi municipal polls, with both parties banking on new faces
and fresh blood in various constituencies of the capital.
Congress leaders claim that they have fielded 110
candidates below the age of 40 years, including 30 who are
below 30 years. BJP has fielded eight candidates who are below
Greenhorns in politics they may be, but the young guns
are leaving no stone unturned in the campaign trail for the
polls, evident in the pages they have created on Facebook and
the debates triggered on Twitter to canvass support.
From improving living conditions in the city to providing
public healthcare and filling the lacuna in the present system
-- these are among the many reasons that pushed these
youngsters, most of whom are professionals, in the poll fray.
"I want to improve public health. The MCD is an ideal
platform to put your knowledge to good use. By being a part of
the civic body I can serve many, my professional experience is
an added advantage," says 28-year-old Monica Bedi, Congress`
contestant in Rohini (Central).
A doctor by profession, Monica is contesting the polls
for the first time and is locked in direct battle with Shobha
Vijender, wife of Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta.
"With the Election Commission banning posters and
restricting the use of loudspeakers, we have to bank on social
networking sites to communicate with voters," says Ankita
Saini (22), BJP`s candidate from south Delhi`s Hauz Khas ward.
Ankita, who studied in Canada, has also created her own
`Support Ankita Saini` page on Facebook to garner support.
"Besides, I am going door-to-door and meeting people in my
ward and noting all their grievances," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India