MCD polls: Young turks lead charge for Cong, BJP
New Delhi: Young turks for development and
change seems to be the mantra for Congress and BJP in the
Delhi municipal polls, with both parties banking on new faces
and fresh blood in various constituencies of the capital.
Congress leaders claim that they have fielded 110
candidates below the age of 40 years, including 30 who are
below 30 years. BJP has fielded eight candidates who are below
Greenhorns in politics they may be, but the young guns
are leaving no stone unturned in the campaign trail for the
polls, evident in the pages they have created on Facebook and
the debates triggered on Twitter to canvass support.
From improving living conditions in the city to providing
public healthcare and filling the lacuna in the present system
-- these are among the many reasons that pushed these
youngsters, most of whom are professionals, in the poll fray.
"I want to improve public health. The MCD is an ideal
platform to put your knowledge to good use. By being a part of
the civic body I can serve many, my professional experience is
an added advantage," says 28-year-old Monica Bedi, Congress`
contestant in Rohini (Central).
A doctor by profession, Monica is contesting the polls
for the first time and is locked in direct battle with Shobha
Vijender, wife of Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta.
"With the Election Commission banning posters and
restricting the use of loudspeakers, we have to bank on social
networking sites to communicate with voters," says Ankita
Saini (22), BJP`s candidate from south Delhi`s Hauz Khas ward.
Ankita, who studied in Canada, has also created her own
`Support Ankita Saini` page on Facebook to garner support.
"Besides, I am going door-to-door and meeting people in my
ward and noting all their grievances," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!