MCD split: Delhi Mayor slams `anti-people` proposal
New Delhi: Slamming the Delhi government for
proposing trifurcation of MCD, city Mayor Rajni Abbi on Monday requested the Union Home Minister to hear the views of the
civic body before reaching a final decision on the issue.
She also said all political parties in MCD has opposed
the plan and if need be, they will take to streets.
The proposal for creating three independent municipal
corporations for East, North, and South Delhi as approved by
the Delhi government will pose an extra financial burden of Rs
2,000 crore per annum due to the need for additional
infrastructure and creation of new posts, Abbi claimed.
The Mayor requested Union Home Minister P Chidambaram to
seriously view the whole issue and give proper time for
patient hearing to MCD before reaching a decision.
She said that in the proposed structure, the executive
wing will be stronger than the deliberative wing and all the
powers will be taken away from the elected representatives and
given to bureaucrats.
"There is a proposal to give more powers to municipal
commissioners. There will be Chief Commissioner in Delhi
government above the three commissioners. And finally above
them all, the Chief Minister will have the command to make the
things move according to her whims and fancies," she said.
The Mayor said there will be disputes and difference of
opinions among the corporations, which will be difficult to
solve. "This is a step in the reverse direction for Delhi."
"East Delhi has hardly 10 per cent of revenue generation
in terms of property tax, although one-third of the population
of Delhi lives there. The same way, there is imbalance in the
income from North and South Delhi. Would Delhi government give
funds for these corporations always?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown