MCD starts sealing illegal mobile phone towers
New Delhi: Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) officials Wednesday sealed illegally erected mobile phone towers in the national capital.
Officials from the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) first sealed two towers in Chittaranjan Park and followed it up with two more in nearby Govindpuri area in south Delhi.
"In Delhi`s central zone alone, we plan to seal about 20 unauthorized cell phone towers," an official said, "The police are assisting us."
Of the 12 MCD zones, the sealing operation has started in parts of central and south Delhi including Jangpura, Bhogal, Kalkaji, Chittranjan Park and Lodhi colony.
Municipal Commissioner K.S Mehra has ordered the sealing of phone towers built without permission from the civic agency.
There are 5,364 phone towers within MCD`s jurisdiction. Of these, as many as 2,952 are illegal.
The MCD has already sealed about 300 towers in the past few months. But 41 were made operational after the phone companies completed the formalities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?