MCD to shift to new headquarters in Civic Centre on Wednesday
New Delhi: Over 6 months after inaugurating it, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) is finally set to shift to its new headquarters in the tallest building of the national capital from Wednesday.
A four-phased shifting of the offices of the civic agency
to the Rs 650 crore 28-storey Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Civic
Centre building is beginning tomorrow and will continue till
December 8, officials said today.
According to an MCD office order on "allotment of floor
or space and shifting plan", the corporation will move all the
key departments, including health, education, town planning,
engineering and house tax as well as the office of the
Municipal Commissioner and additional commissioners to the new building in four phases from tomorrow till December 8.
However, the offices the Mayor, Leader of the House,
Leader of Opposition, Chairman of the Standing Committee,
Press and Information Directorate and Municipal Secretary`s
office are planned to be shifted in the last phase from
The 112-metre Civic Centre was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Civic Centre on April 22.
The building, which will cater to 20,000 footfalls a day,
will bring under one roof the deliberative wing and different
offices of the civic body, which looks after 96 per cent of
areas of Delhi.
The existing MCD headquarters in Town Hall is expected
to be turned into a heritage hotel or a museum.
The new headquarters of MCD has been constructed in an
area of 1.16 lakh square metres with a concept of `green
building`, which is designed for optimum utilisation of
natural resources like air, water and sunlight.
However, its construction had been hit by delays with the
MCD missing several deadlines for shifting its offices.
During the monsoon season, there also were complaints of
waterlogging inside the building.
The opposition Congress has repeatedly flayed the ruling
BJP over delays in construction of the building and shifting
of the offices.
The foundation stone for the building was laid by Atal
Bihari Vajpayee in 1994 and work started in 2005, with
Malaysia-based IJM Corporation as contractor.
The Civic Centre has four six-storey blocks, one
28-storey tower block, in addition to services block, water
treatment plant and sewage treatment plant.
The building is provided with rain water harvesting,
energy efficient lighting and day light sensor systems. Water
conservation will be ascertained through flow sensors and
self-closing taps, officials said.
The Civic Centre has an auditorium with capacity of 1,000
seats, an art gallery, restaurant, a 33KV sub-station for
dedicated and interrupted power supply, waiting areas,
fountains, an open-air theatre, three halls for holding MCD
meetings as well as a separate media centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India