MCD warned of contempt of court proceedings
New Delhi: Civic body MCD was on Wednesday warned
by the Delhi High Court to either decide on building a
community hall in posh Greater Kailash locality within four
weeks or face contempt of court proceedings.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice
Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also ordered the chief town planner of the
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to appear before it on
December 14, the next date of hearing of a plea for building
the community hall in the area.
The MCD town planner was summoned to explain its failure
to comply with the court`s earlier order in May this year to
decide on building a community hall in the locality, an issue
hanging fire for over two decades now.
The bench said the court in May this year had asked MCD
to decide on construction of the hall within eight weeks but
no decision was taken despite lapse of six months.
The court gave the directions on a plea by retired
defence official V N Channa alleging that the MCD has violated
the court`s previous order, asking MCD to identify a site in
the locality to build the community centre and had asked its
planning department to prepare a design for it.
Channa`s counsel Arjun Harkauli said a 3000 sq feet plot
was earmarked for the community hall and the DLF was to build
it and hand it over to the MCD in 1989 but nothing has been
done so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!