MCI secretary Sangeeta Sharma sacked
New Delhi: The Medical Council of India (MCI)
has sacked its secretary Sangeeta Sharma and relieved her of
the charge with immediate effect.
Sharma`s termination order came in the wake of Health
Ministry`s nod to MCI for sacking her, after which its Board
of Governors took the decision at its meeting on Friday.
While Sharma was not available for comments, sources said
the differences between her and Chairman of MCI Board of
Governors KK Talwar had resulted in the action.
Controversies had surrounded Sharma`s appointment soon
after she joined in March last year, with a probe initiated
into her appointment on grounds that the same was in violation
of rules as she did not fulfil the eligibility criteria and
was also facing charges of corruption. Sharma`s appointment
was also made without seeking the approval of the Appointments
Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
Sharma joined the MCI during the time of previous Chairman
of its Board of Governors SK Sarin and Talwar was opposed to
her ever since he took over last year.
She had also put in her papers in June last year alleging
harsh treatment by the Council`s new Board of Governors. She
later took back her resignation after the BoG assured her of
good work environment.
MCI, the country`s medical regulatory body, was embroiled
in an unsavoury controversy two years ago when its then
chairman Ketan Desai was caught while taking bribe and
arrested by the CBI on charges of corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre