MEA files throw light on Morarji `mole` charge
New Delhi: The Indian establishment had
prior information that US journalist Seymour Hersh, who
alleged that former Prime Minister Morarji Desai was a CIA
mole, had actually contacted some Indian officials before
making such serious charges in his book.
However, the then Foreign Minister P V Narasimha Rao told
Parliament in 1983 that Hersh had never contacted any Indian
official before making the serious allegations against Desai
in his book `The Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White
House`, according to recently declassified MEA files.
The documents also show that Indian diplomats had even
pointed out to Hersh that he had made an error by describing
Desai as a member of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi`s Cabinet in
In his book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist had
alleged that Desai was the "most important" informer of CIA
and was paid USD 20,000 yearly by the agency to pass
information during the Indo-Pak war in 1971.
"Mr Hersh has, however, been in touch with the embassy
since it is a common practice for embassies in the United
States to keep in contact with prominent journalists. In such
informal contacts, the substance of the said allegations was
mentioned to some of our officers who pointed out that during
the period (1971), Shri Morarji Desai was not even in the
Cabinet," says a note on the controversy in the MEA files.
It was part of a "note for supplementaries" as a homework
for a parliamentary discussion on the issue, which was to be
held on August 18, 1983. This paragraph is marked "for the
FM`s information only" which Narasimha Rao reportedly did not
reveal to the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India