MEA to declassify over 2 lakh files
New Delhi: Government is in the process of declassifying more than two lakh files related to countries including neighbours Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan along with American and European nations.
The development comes soon after the Ministry of External Affairs declassified 70,000 files.
The MEA is in the process of "finalizing a major project to declassify another set of 220,000 files- records covering Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Pakistan, Iran and Sri Lanka, East Asia, Eurasia and the Americas," said MEA Special Secretary (Public Diplomacy) Pinak Chakravarty.
He was addressing an International Seminar on Early Years of Nuclear Cooperation and Non-Proliferation: A Dialogue on Nuclear Historicities.
Throwing light on India`s nuclear policy, Chakravarty said it "remains firmly rooted in the basic tenet that our country`s national security, in a world of nuclear proliferation, lies either in universal, non-discriminatory disarmament or in the exercise of the principle of equal and legitimate security for all."
Commenting on the MEA decision to declassify files, IDSA Director Arvind Gupta said "MEA`s recent declassification of a large number of files pertaining to India?s foreign policy is a step in the right direction."
"Some of these files, which are now available with the National Archives, pertain to the nuclear issues. More files need to be declassified,"he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video