Medical board to examine Bhullar`s health
New Delhi: The Delhi government has set up a medical board to examine the health condition of death row convict Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, who is said to be having suicidal tendencies and admitted in a hospital here for last two years.
Top Delhi government officials said the medical board, comprising a number of senior doctors from renowned hospitals, is expected to submit the report next week.
"The board has indicated to us that Bhullar`s medical report will be made available to the government next week," an official said.
Bhullar was given death penalty for triggering a bomb blast here in September 1993 that killed nine people and injured 25 others, including then Youth Congress President M S Bitta.
He has been admitted to Institute for Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS) here for over two years.
A senior doctor, who has been attending to Bhullar at IHBAS, said he has been suffering from depression and has suicidal tendencies.
"He is under close watch. He still has suicidal tendencies," the doctor said.
A Tihar jail official said as per jail manual a death row convict has to be physically fit before execution.
Last month, the Supreme Court had dismissed Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment on ground of delay in deciding his mercy plea.
However, Bhullar`s wife on May 7 had filled a review petition against the Supreme Court verdict of April 12.
After the Supreme Court`s dismissal of Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal had approached Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Home Minister to find a way out to stop Bhullar`s execution on the ground of peace and harmony in the state.
Bhullar had filed a mercy petition before the President on January 14, 2003. The mercy petition was dismissed on May 25, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today