Medical board to examine Bhullar`s health
New Delhi: The Delhi government has set up a medical board to examine the health condition of death row convict Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, who is said to be having suicidal tendencies and admitted in a hospital here for last two years.
Top Delhi government officials said the medical board, comprising a number of senior doctors from renowned hospitals, is expected to submit the report next week.
"The board has indicated to us that Bhullar`s medical report will be made available to the government next week," an official said.
Bhullar was given death penalty for triggering a bomb blast here in September 1993 that killed nine people and injured 25 others, including then Youth Congress President M S Bitta.
He has been admitted to Institute for Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS) here for over two years.
A senior doctor, who has been attending to Bhullar at IHBAS, said he has been suffering from depression and has suicidal tendencies.
"He is under close watch. He still has suicidal tendencies," the doctor said.
A Tihar jail official said as per jail manual a death row convict has to be physically fit before execution.
Last month, the Supreme Court had dismissed Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment on ground of delay in deciding his mercy plea.
However, Bhullar`s wife on May 7 had filled a review petition against the Supreme Court verdict of April 12.
After the Supreme Court`s dismissal of Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal had approached Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Home Minister to find a way out to stop Bhullar`s execution on the ground of peace and harmony in the state.
Bhullar had filed a mercy petition before the President on January 14, 2003. The mercy petition was dismissed on May 25, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players