Medical board to examine Bhullar`s health
New Delhi: The Delhi government has set up a medical board to examine the health condition of death row convict Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, who is said to be having suicidal tendencies and admitted in a hospital here for last two years.
Top Delhi government officials said the medical board, comprising a number of senior doctors from renowned hospitals, is expected to submit the report next week.
"The board has indicated to us that Bhullar`s medical report will be made available to the government next week," an official said.
Bhullar was given death penalty for triggering a bomb blast here in September 1993 that killed nine people and injured 25 others, including then Youth Congress President M S Bitta.
He has been admitted to Institute for Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS) here for over two years.
A senior doctor, who has been attending to Bhullar at IHBAS, said he has been suffering from depression and has suicidal tendencies.
"He is under close watch. He still has suicidal tendencies," the doctor said.
A Tihar jail official said as per jail manual a death row convict has to be physically fit before execution.
Last month, the Supreme Court had dismissed Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment on ground of delay in deciding his mercy plea.
However, Bhullar`s wife on May 7 had filled a review petition against the Supreme Court verdict of April 12.
After the Supreme Court`s dismissal of Bhullar`s plea for commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal had approached Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Home Minister to find a way out to stop Bhullar`s execution on the ground of peace and harmony in the state.
Bhullar had filed a mercy petition before the President on January 14, 2003. The mercy petition was dismissed on May 25, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon