Medical Council of India to restore 6,387 medical seats
New Delhi: Medical Council of India (MCI) has agreed to restore 6,387 medical seats in government colleges which were cancelled earlier this year after state governments promised to upgrade infrastructure and comply fully with the Council`s guidelines.
MCI chairperson Jayshreeben Mehta said all the state governments have given an undertaking that they will comply with the guidelines in three months time.
"We have never disapproved any college for flimsy reasons. We are concerned with the mandatory requirements of MCI and that is faculty, hospital equipments, patients and teaching modalities," Mehta told PTI.
According to officials, MCI gave its approval for on Saturday evening and conveyed it to the Centre which then informed the respective state governments.
The approval comes in the backdrop of Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan asking the the Council to urgently take a call on compliance reports filed by colleges.
In a letter to the MCI chairperson, he had also criticised the Council for failing to review the compliance reports of several government medical colleges within a set time-frame, as in the long term it would lead to acute shortage of qualified doctors.
"We also want more doctors, but then the quality of doctors also matters. We need to provide proper training and a good envrionment to them," Mehta said on the issue.
Also, the Health Secretary Lov Verma, in a letter to Mehta, asked the Council to approach the Supreme Court for extension of letter of permission to August 8, 2014, so that the 150 cases can be reviewed and scrapping of 6,387 existing MBBS seats is prevented.
MCI`s recommendation to scrap 6,387 existing MBBS seats, many of them in government medical colleges, had drawn strong reactions from the health ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing