Medical profession affected by greed: Consumer forum
New Delhi: Observing that medical profession has been affected by "greed" with doctors not hesitating to put life of patients at risk, a consumer forum here has ordered a city hospital and its two doctors to pay Rs 2.5 lakh to a pregnant woman for negligence in treatment.
The East District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum said the negligence of Jain Charitable Hospital and its two doctors Nupur Pagore and Ajay Jain "affected the chances of motherhood" of a 24-year-old woman which no amount of compensation can bring back.
"It has been observed these days that medical profession, which is considered to be one of the noblest field of service to humanity, is affected by greed. Hospitals and doctors don`t hesitate in putting the life of a patient at risk.
"We are pained that a young woman has been put to such a traumatic state which has affected her chances of motherhood. She has to live with this trauma for her remaining life. No amount of compensation can bring her back the opportunity she has lost due to sheer negligence on the part of the opposite party 1 to 3 (hospital and two doctors)," a bench presided by N A Zaidi said.
The bench awarded compensation of Rs 2,50,000 to the woman, a resident of East Delhi.
According to the complaint filed by the woman`s husband Kamal Kumar, his wife was admitted in the hospital for termination of pregnancy to avoid complications during her surgery for removal of a brain tumour.
He alleged due to the negligence of the hospital and its two doctors, the pregnancy was not terminated properly and resulted in damage to some of her internal organs as well as her ability to conceive.
The hospital and its doctors denied the allegation and contended that they provided the best possible medical care to the woman.
The contention was rejected by the forum which said the hospital did not appear to have ICU facility and in such a situation, should not have admitted the woman who they knew was a high risk patient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis