Medical profession affected by greed: Consumer forum
New Delhi: Observing that medical profession has been affected by "greed" with doctors not hesitating to put life of patients at risk, a consumer forum here has ordered a city hospital and its two doctors to pay Rs 2.5 lakh to a pregnant woman for negligence in treatment.
The East District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum said the negligence of Jain Charitable Hospital and its two doctors Nupur Pagore and Ajay Jain "affected the chances of motherhood" of a 24-year-old woman which no amount of compensation can bring back.
"It has been observed these days that medical profession, which is considered to be one of the noblest field of service to humanity, is affected by greed. Hospitals and doctors don`t hesitate in putting the life of a patient at risk.
"We are pained that a young woman has been put to such a traumatic state which has affected her chances of motherhood. She has to live with this trauma for her remaining life. No amount of compensation can bring her back the opportunity she has lost due to sheer negligence on the part of the opposite party 1 to 3 (hospital and two doctors)," a bench presided by N A Zaidi said.
The bench awarded compensation of Rs 2,50,000 to the woman, a resident of East Delhi.
According to the complaint filed by the woman`s husband Kamal Kumar, his wife was admitted in the hospital for termination of pregnancy to avoid complications during her surgery for removal of a brain tumour.
He alleged due to the negligence of the hospital and its two doctors, the pregnancy was not terminated properly and resulted in damage to some of her internal organs as well as her ability to conceive.
The hospital and its doctors denied the allegation and contended that they provided the best possible medical care to the woman.
The contention was rejected by the forum which said the hospital did not appear to have ICU facility and in such a situation, should not have admitted the woman who they knew was a high risk patient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed