Meghalaya Guv asks Shinde, DP to ensure security of NE people
New Delhi: Concerned over attacks on people from Northeast in Delhi, Meghalaya Governor K K Paul on Wednesday urged Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and city police to ensure security of the people of the region living in the national capital.
"I am writing to you to express my concern on behalf of the people of my state and would urge upon both the Union government as well as the Delhi Police to take adequate steps to create a conducive atmosphere for people from Northeast to pursue their studies and occupation in Delhi and elsewhere in the country in peace and harmony," he wrote in his letter to Shinde.
Paul, a former Delhi Police Commissioner, said the recent cases of violence in Delhi against the students from Northeastern states have generated a sense of insecurity among them and a serious concern back home.
The Governor said a large number of youngsters from Meghalaya in general and Shillong in particular are in Delhi for their studies or employment and therefore it is necessary to allay their concerns immediately.
Paul said he was sure the Union Home Ministry is addressing this issue in all seriousness.
"The recent decision taken by the Home Ministry to hand over the case relating to the death of Arunachal Pradesh youth Nido Tania to CBI is welcome," he said in his letter to the Home Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre