Mehrauli to have better water supply
New Delhi: Mehrauli and its surrounding areas
in South Delhi will have a better water supply infrastructure by the end of next year with Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit launching a project to augment the entire distribution and storage network which will cost around Rs 150 crore.
Under the project, being implemented under PPP mode, 33,000 metres of old pipeline will be replaced by laying new ones and five under ground reservoirs with a total storage
capacity of 19 million litres of water will be constructed.
The project will be completed within 21 months and the private entity which won the contract will maintain the infrastructure for a period of 10 years, senior Delhi Jal
Board officials said.
"The ancient town of Mehrauli will have a new network of water supply system after twenty one months resulting in a
permanent solution to existing problem of acute shortage of water," Dikshit said, adding, "people will not have to loose sleep for water."
Exhorting people not to waste water, Dikshit also asked the citizens to install water metre in their premises to help Delhi Jal Board regulate the water distribution network in an efficient way.
"We must conserve and make rational use of all natural resources including water which is precious and has no substitute," she said.
Dikshit, who is also chairperson of DJB, said on completion of the project, people in Mehrauli and adjoining areas will get water supply twice daily instead of twice a week supply currently.
"The implementation of the scheme will result in regular supply of water to all the residents, efficient service delivery in respect of metering, billing along with redressal of consumer complaints," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam