Meira Kumar meets East Delhi rape victim
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday met the five-year-old rape victim from East Delhi and assured her every assistance for speedy recovery and subsequent rehabilitation.
The victim was brutally raped by neighbours, who also held her captive for days. The horrific crime that was reported from Gandhi Nagar area on April had led to a huge public outcry.
Kumar had earlier visited the victim in AIIMS on April 21 and given Rs 2 lakh from her discretionary grant to the parents for treatment and other expenses.
During the visit today, the Speaker enquired about her well being from her parents and assured them all assistance.
Expressing her deep anguish on the reported instances of victims of sexual assaults being shunned socially, Kumar said, "I strongly condemn the acts of those who ridicule the victim or her family, forcing them to relive the trauma of the incident all over again."
"We, as responsible citizens of this great nation, must resolve to support and assist in the rehabilitation of such inhuman acts. We must treat our women with utmost dignity and respect," the Speaker said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!