Meira Kumar meets East Delhi rape victim
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday met the five-year-old rape victim from East Delhi and assured her every assistance for speedy recovery and subsequent rehabilitation.
The victim was brutally raped by neighbours, who also held her captive for days. The horrific crime that was reported from Gandhi Nagar area on April had led to a huge public outcry.
Kumar had earlier visited the victim in AIIMS on April 21 and given Rs 2 lakh from her discretionary grant to the parents for treatment and other expenses.
During the visit today, the Speaker enquired about her well being from her parents and assured them all assistance.
Expressing her deep anguish on the reported instances of victims of sexual assaults being shunned socially, Kumar said, "I strongly condemn the acts of those who ridicule the victim or her family, forcing them to relive the trauma of the incident all over again."
"We, as responsible citizens of this great nation, must resolve to support and assist in the rehabilitation of such inhuman acts. We must treat our women with utmost dignity and respect," the Speaker said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Universe crowded with black holes predicted
- ISRO tells industry to enhance capacity to meet demand
- BJP dares Bihar government to ban VHP meet as Tejaswi Yadav threatens action against Pravin Togadia
- Brexit: Remain or Leave? Results could go down to the wire
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans