Meira Kumar meets East Delhi rape victim
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday met the five-year-old rape victim from East Delhi and assured her every assistance for speedy recovery and subsequent rehabilitation.
The victim was brutally raped by neighbours, who also held her captive for days. The horrific crime that was reported from Gandhi Nagar area on April had led to a huge public outcry.
Kumar had earlier visited the victim in AIIMS on April 21 and given Rs 2 lakh from her discretionary grant to the parents for treatment and other expenses.
During the visit today, the Speaker enquired about her well being from her parents and assured them all assistance.
Expressing her deep anguish on the reported instances of victims of sexual assaults being shunned socially, Kumar said, "I strongly condemn the acts of those who ridicule the victim or her family, forcing them to relive the trauma of the incident all over again."
"We, as responsible citizens of this great nation, must resolve to support and assist in the rehabilitation of such inhuman acts. We must treat our women with utmost dignity and respect," the Speaker said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists