Mentally challenged daughter earns court`s leniency for father
New Delhi: The mentally challenged daughter of a man convicted for rash driving in a 19-year-old case has led a court into adopting a lenient view and letting him off with a meager fine.
Central Delhi resident Ish Sharma, convicted for rash driving and causing grevious hurt to a person, was let off with a fine of Rs 10,000 after he submitted before the court that he has a 14-year-old mentally challenged daughter to take care of.
Metropolitan Magistrate Hem Raj perused the medical record and certificates of the mentally challenged girl, said, "The counsel for the convict had filed on record photocopies of the medical certificate of her daughter showing that the innocent girl is suffering from the disease of mental retardation which cannot be cured medically.
"The medical treatment of the girl would be seriously affected and the education of his (convict`s) son would also be jeopardised if the convict is sent behind bars. In my opinion, by imposing an appropriate sentence of fine would suffice the purpose and the convict would be more careful in the future".
The court imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on him for rash driving and another Rs 9,000 for causing grievous hurt.
Sharma told the court that he is the sole bread earner of the family which consists of his wife and school-going children.
He also said that he has a 14-year-old daughter who is mentally challenged and if he is sent to jail, she would be deprived of the love and affection of his father as well as her medical treatment would be seriously affected.
The court perused the medical records and certificates of his mentally challenged daughter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know