Mentally challenged daughter earns court`s leniency for father
New Delhi: The mentally challenged daughter of a man convicted for rash driving in a 19-year-old case has led a court into adopting a lenient view and letting him off with a meager fine.
Central Delhi resident Ish Sharma, convicted for rash driving and causing grevious hurt to a person, was let off with a fine of Rs 10,000 after he submitted before the court that he has a 14-year-old mentally challenged daughter to take care of.
Metropolitan Magistrate Hem Raj perused the medical record and certificates of the mentally challenged girl, said, "The counsel for the convict had filed on record photocopies of the medical certificate of her daughter showing that the innocent girl is suffering from the disease of mental retardation which cannot be cured medically.
"The medical treatment of the girl would be seriously affected and the education of his (convict`s) son would also be jeopardised if the convict is sent behind bars. In my opinion, by imposing an appropriate sentence of fine would suffice the purpose and the convict would be more careful in the future".
The court imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on him for rash driving and another Rs 9,000 for causing grievous hurt.
Sharma told the court that he is the sole bread earner of the family which consists of his wife and school-going children.
He also said that he has a 14-year-old daughter who is mentally challenged and if he is sent to jail, she would be deprived of the love and affection of his father as well as her medical treatment would be seriously affected.
The court perused the medical records and certificates of his mentally challenged daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?